The McKim Free School was started in 1821. McKim was Baltimore City’s first free school and one of he first in the United States as well. In 1835, the school moved to its current location at Aisquith and Baltimore Street, where it occupied a building designed by William howard and William Small and built by Isaac McKim. Designed after the Theseum and the north wind of the Propylaea on the Acropolis. The McKim building has been called “the most perfect example of the Doric architecture in the U.S”.
In it’s early days, children of Jewish, Italian, and Polish immigrants were among the students who learned at the McKim school. The school flourished until the 1890’s, where public education took over its functions. McKim then established a free kindergarten, another first for the city.